Basic Home Page Assignment
Nothing to hand in.
The webpage will be graded directly from a browser.
Note: all webpages MUST work in BOTH
IE and Firefox.
Late assignments will receive a zero!
- Follow the procedures here for setting up
your webspace. It might already exist. Be careful.
- Open "notepad"e; for PC users or "textedit" for MAC users(be careful, do NOT use Word or Wordpad) and enter the HTML for YOUR homepage.
Be sure you follow the example below. You may NOT use a regular Word Processor such as Word! ONLY a plaintext editor.
- Use "save as..." and pick the type "html" to save the file with the name "index.html".
Do NOT save it as a "doc" or "docx" file!! Click onthe button to specify a type of "all files *.*"
and explicitly type the ".html" after the name.
Be careful you do not end up with a file name like index.html.txt or index.txt.html.
index.html is the ONLY name that works and it MUST be spelled in lowercase!!
Remember that all your webpages MUST be INSIDE your public_html folder on your H: drive.
(The H: drive is available to your account from anywhere in the world.)
You may NOT use any of the following tags:
instead, use CSS styles as in my exampe below (use "view source") to see my html & CSS.
- or any of the other deprecated tags
- Open a browser (IE, Edge, Firefox or Chrome) and test your webpage, by going to
where the "x"'s are replaced by YOUR ID.
If it doesn't work, fix it. Be sure it contains ALL
the same information in the same order as my SAMPLE
PAGE below. You can format it with any type-face, color or background (wallpaper)
CAUTION: some wallpapers have designs that make text
hard to read. Check it out!
NOTICE that the bordered area or table if you use one, does NOT
extend to the edges of the screen. Set non-zero margins with CSS.
You may use ANY colors, fonts and sizes you wish, but you must use CSS styles
and all the items (from top to bottom) must be in the order shown.
Remember that there is a DIFFERENCE between align:center and text-align:center.
The text-align:center style is for the CONTENT of a text element (such as a table data element or a paragraph).
Content rules for basic homepage page
Each item should display below the previous one.
Your HTML code should put the cursor inside the 1st number box.
DO NOT USE A FORM!! That will come later.
- a centered image with a border around it (the border is nOT part of hte image itself)
- your name and an anchor tag with a
mailto://your_email address so I can click it to tell you about errors or goodness
- a bordered table with
two input boxes for the user to type numbers
- one output box for an answer