Dr. Dennis Foreman, Q19, Watson School, x74162. Office
hours: See website or by appointment
- "Data Structures, Algorithms & Software Principles",
Thomas C. Standish, Pearson Publishing, 1994, ISBN: 9780201591187
- To provide the necessary general knowledge of the use
and construction of Abstract Data Types to enable the student to work
independently in the solution of problems and creation of computer
programs for research and industry.
- To provide a level of understanding and confidence that will allow the
student to continue learning to use new computer systems and programs.
- To acquire the vocabulary, programming concepts and
skills for the construction and use of data structures and Abstract Data Types.
- To learn the concepts behind, and use of, the fundamental
programming data structures using both static and dynamic storage:
- hash tables
- graphs (time permitting)
- To learn some of the different algorithms for searching and sorting data.
- To learn to recognize and use recursion and dynamic memory.
- To learn the implications of different implementations of data structures
and algorithms in terms of memory, time and programming efficiency.