Everyone starts with 100, then subtract the points as indicated below.
This page is intended to be a comprehensive (but possibly NOT complete) list of errors in CS105.
You should refer to it for every lab, as well as all the addenda items.
Word 1-1 or 1-2 (whichever is assigned)
- Don’t worry about # of words per line
- Clip art insertion – 20 if missing – OK if image is cutoff, ANY image is OK (does not have to be the one in the book)
- Main title not centered – 5
- incorrect alignment (does NOT have to be exact)–5 pts
- titles not made bold– 5
- Size and font of titles not CLOSE to the one specified or shown– 5 each item (total of 15 )
- words in text body not formatted (underlines, italics, and/or bold) as in figure– 5 pts for EACH error
- last line not centered – 5 pts
- font of body (main) text not set as specified (must be Serif font)– 5pts
- Spelling errors – 10
- Student's name not inserted 10 pts
Word 3-1 and 3-2
- These 2 labs together form ONE assignment with ONE grade total and ONE cover page.
- Allow for different versions of MS Word (some may have a vertical line next to the headings, some may not have the horizontal line).
- Missing headings – 15
- Extra headings – 10
- Headings in wrong order – 5
- No bulleted list – 15
- Missing boldface on subheadings – 10
- Missing Personal Info (at top of page above name) – 10
- Table style errors – 10 (borders, font, style, etc)
- text not tabbed properly as in picture -10
- Spelling errors – 15
- Filename with Path missing in footer – 20 (even if the filename is there, MUST have the path.
For ALL spreadsheet assignments, except the special spreadsheet: 15 points off for EACH of the following:
- formula view missing,
- constants in any formula,
- incorrect or improper use of absolute, relative and mixed addresses,
- formulas cutoff so you can’t read them
- missing row & column headings.
- There will be 30 points taken off for not including the required footer on EVERY spreadsheet printed
- Color is not required, but you should be able to tell that colors were used where they are in the book.
Excel 1-1 or 1-2 (whichever is assigned)
- only ONE formula view required for the whole assignment
- if totals are slightly off , be sure formulas are OK, if so, DON’T take off for totals
- 15 – missing totals or missing formulas on formula view
- 15 – missing formula view
- 5 - for each kind of format error ($ missing or in wrong places, shading of rows, missing double lines under totals, font, size, bold, italic, etc as in picture)
- 10 for title not centered across A1-F1
- 10 – wrong chart data (chart does NOT have to be in same place as in picture, must be same chart type)
- 15 – A22:A26 not filled-in (see step 7)
- 10 – data changes and re-print not done (step 10)
- 15 – wrong graph type (either cylinders or pyramids are OK)
- 10 – wrong vertical axis labels in graph
- 5 – missing legend on graph
- 10 – lowest value on vertical axis must be $- (a dollar and a dash)
Excel 3-1 or Excel 3-2 (whichever is assigned)
- There should be a total of 4 prints of the spreadsheet in normal view + 1 graph print + 1 formula view print.
- 15 – missing totals or missing formulas on formula view
- 10 - years not properly formatted in row 3
- 10 – formula for =NOW() missing in formula view.
- 10 – drop shadows missing in rows 7, 13, 15, 17 or 19-23
- 10 - assumptions values missing or wrong in B19:B24
- 5 - for each kind of format error (comma format, bold, italic, borders, size, etc)
- 5 - values not as shown in book
- 5 - graph not full page
- 15 – each missing graph
- 15 - each regular sheet missing
- 10 – graph title missing
- 10 - wrong graph type
Lookup Table assignment
- formatting not required. Ignore cutoff TEXT in formula view (it’s the formulas we need to see).
- lab gets a ZERO if it is the wrong kind of lookup (V vs. H or H vs. V)
- 15 points off for formulas being cutoff
- 15 – wrong values in lookup column or row.
- 10 points off if rest of table has data different from handout.
- 15 – for wrong formulas
- 15 – if the dollar-signs are missing on the table’s range
- 10 – if table does not start in required cell.
- 30 points off if formula view is missing.
- 15 points if the lookup constant is not an absolute reference
Access 1-1 or Access 1-2
- 10 - missing fields
- 10 - extra fields
- 10 - missing data or column titles cutoff
- 10 - wrong data
- 10 - missing or wrong title on fields (don’t worry about spelling, or two-row titles)
- 30 – missing table 1
- 30 – missing table 2
- 30 – missing report. NOTE: do NOT take off for data sort-order in the report.
- 30 - missing the record with XX and their initials
- 100 – somebody else’s initials in the XX record (be sure to see which initials they used, some students will reverse their initials to match their cover page (last, first).
Access 2-1 or 2-2
- 15 for any missing query
- 10 points off for column titles cutoff
- 30 points off for the XX Technician Number (with their initials) not showing or their personalized Technician Name is missing
in steps 3, 6, 7, 8, 11, where those fields are required.
- 15 for including fields not specifically requested in the problem.
- 15 for excluding any required fields
- 15 for any wrong query (wrong fields displayed, wrong data displayed)
Access 3-1 or 3-2
- Step 15: 15 if missing Referential Integrity printout or it does not show the “1” and the “infinity” symbols
Access 4-1 or 4-2
Missing any report - 40 pts
- General Report details
- Wrong format (lines missing, titles not bold, etc) – 10
- Missing heading – 10
- Any missing fields or cutoff fields 10
- Not formatted as in picture – 10
- NO points off for wrong sort order
- “Supplier/Items” Report
- Not grouped as shown in book (by Vendor Code) – 20
- Supplier Name info not on same line as Supplier Code info - 10
- Not grouped within Supplier by Product Code – 10
- Columns out of order – 10
- Missing any column – 10
- Supplier Code, Item ID and Selling Price titles must take 2 lines – 10
- Any descriptions cut off – 10
- Missing sub-totals 15
- Extra auto-text (“Summary for 'Vendor Code='”, etc on a line by itself) (just plain “sum” is OK)
- Form View
- Form View missing – 40 (in "special print" format)
- “Vendor Code” does not have the “combo-box” arrow/button – 30
- any data boxes missing 20
- “Item Update Form“ label missing (15 points off) or not correctly formatted (10 points off)
- data entry boxes not arranged as in book – 10
- student's personal item not showing - 30
- Part 1: The memo with field names visible:
- 40 - if this is page is missing.
- 100 - if field names are not really “field names”
(that is they are not inside the special symbols used to indicate a real field.
- 20 - off if any field name missing
- Part 2: The memos with data and the query that was used to get them:
- NOTE: format is NOT important, except
- 10 pts off for the tabbed fields not lined up as in the handout
- 10 pts off for not bold-facing the fields as shown in the handout
- 10 off if the period is missing or is not touching the “On Hand” value.
- 10 off if more or less than 5 actual memos (with data) are printed
- 10 off for missing graph
- 10 off for any missing field values (one time)
- 60 off if NO memos are included
- 30 off if query (the QBE grid) or its result (the table) is missing
(nothing off if the query result is wrong, since we take off for it in next step, if the query is wrong,)
- 20 off if query is wrong.
- 20 off if the line connecting the tables in the query printout is missing or does not show the “1” and “infinity” symbols.